Waking Up, Blurred and Alone When I first came to, after two weeks in a coma, my vision was blurred. I had no idea where I was or why. A swirl of confusion enveloped me — what had I been through? What was ahead? How would I adapt to the life unfolding before me? After a month in the hospital, I was transferred from Denver General — the place that saved me — to Spalding Rehab, where they treat brain injuries and other serious traumas. In that first week, I remember little. At night, my tears were loud and uncontrollable. I couldn’t get up, couldn’t walk, couldn’t feed myself, couldn’t use the bathroom alone. The pain was overwhelming. Only later did I learn I had been in a devastating motorcycle accident. Information came at me from all sides: doctors, nurses, family, therapists, friends. Some of it was fact — some of it distorted truth. Can you imagine being inundated with that while you’re still waking up mentally? It felt like I was under attack from every direction. The Realiza...
Comments
Post a Comment